Sunday, March 28, 2010

Chicken Posole from Food Storage

A few weeks ago, I was feeling too sick to make dinner but I really needed to eat something substantial. I decided on a chicken posole recipe from Real Simple magazine--I've cooked it before, knew it was easy to make, and it was a fast solution for my hunger. I tweeked the recipe a little to accommodate food storage items, so in time of a nuclear fallout I will have a year supply of supplies to make this soup.

Items:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, thinly sliced***(food storage tweek: 1/2 cup of dried chopped onions)
1 32-ounce container low-sodium chicken broth
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (any more and your soup will be ridiculously spicy and make you cry)
2 cups of shredded rotisserie chicken meat***(food storage tweek: 13 ounce can of white chicken meat)
1 15 ounce can of hominy, drained and rinsed
1 lime, cut into wedges***(food storage tweek: I have no idea what to use for this)
salt and pepper

Directions
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and beginning to brown, 10 to 12 minutes. (food storage tweek: using dried onion, stir until cooked)

2. Add the broth, tomatoes, and red pepper and bring to a boil. Stir in the chicken and hominy and simmer until heated through 3 to 4 minutes. Serve with lime.

The only fresh items I used for this soup was the lime and the onion. It was delicious!! The first time I made it, I had a cold and couldn't taste the red pepper, so I added another 1/4 teaspoon. I could still barely taste it but Steven said it was too hot and it made his eyes water. When I got over my cold and have a second helping a few days later, I knew what he meant and I cried too from how hot the pepper was.

No comments: